Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Pretend Ones

Within the past few months I've become more aware of the people who I have surrounded myself with. I've become more aware of the fact that not all of them will help and support me through the rest of my life's journey, and that scares me. Not every person I talk to on a daily basis wants to make me better; some people just do it for show. That's makes me wonder: Why do it then? If you don't truly love and support your friends or family or coworkers or teammates, why pretend?

I've already learned once that you can't trust just anyone anymore. And that's why I evaluated every person I had surrounded myself with for the past 2 years, and I thought I was fine, but all it takes is one event, one moment in time to make you realize you were wrong. I don't think everyone around me cares about me as much as I originally thought, which is completely fine! In life not everyone will like you or trust you or help you; maybe this is just teaching me that fact before I leave this small world we call college. But being a psychology major I think about things a little deeper than usual and it makes me wonder why people pretend to be something they're not...

I think we're all victims of this. Pretending to be someone we truly aren't, but I don't think everyone does it on purpose. Sometimes certain situations arise where you have to act a different way or pretend for just a second you're something that you're really not. But then there are those people who do it on purpose. Those people are either people who are "people pleasers" and just want to be seen like a fabulous person by everyone or they just really don't care, but if you didn't care why would you still pretend? I have a few people that I have surrounded myself with that I know they are choosing to pretend because they can't get by without me; why? I have no idea, but for some reason I think they think that if they're on my "good side" then they're set! Well, that's not how it works in the real world, and I'm finally starting to see that. The sooner I can not care about what people think or say about me, the sooner I'll be happier with my life and the sooner I can surround myself with real people instead of pretend ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment